St Catherine's Church, Wickford

Church Details


Visited
29/02/2004 & 05/06/2004
Locking Status
Open during daytime hours - this can vary though - so avoid very early or very late attempts to visit.
Built
Roof c.1500
Restoration
1876
Restoration Architect
Henry Stone
Website
http://www.stcatherineschurchwickford.com/


External Images

St Catherine, Wickford Church - The church at Wickford was built upon the foundations of the old parish church in 1876.

Image ID: 0111e001

St Catherine, Wickford Church - The belfry houses two medieval bells. They are now only rung in a stationary position, one above the other.

Image ID: 0111e002

St Catherine, Wickford Church - A blocked arcade can be seen here in the N wall.

Image ID: 0111e003

St Catherine, Wickford Church

Image ID: 0111e004



Internal Images

St Catherine, Wickford Church - Looking east towards the chancel.

Image ID: 0111i001

St Catherine, Wickford Church - The chancel.

Image ID: 0111i002

St Catherine, Wickford Church - Looking west from the chancel.

Image ID: 0111i003

St Catherine, Wickford Church - The blocked arcade in the N wall.

Image ID: 0111i004

Glass Images

St Catherine, Wickford Church - The East window depicts Jesus on the cross, flanked by Saints. It is in memory of Henry Stone, churchwarden during the rebuilding of the church. It was recently (1998) restored.

Image ID: 0111g001

St Catherine, Wickford Church - This double window in the south wall depicts the disciples in the corn fields, and the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Image ID: 0111g002

St Catherine, Wickford Church - This window depicts the Good Shepherd.

Image ID: 0111g003

St Catherine, Wickford Church - This window is dedicated to Dr. John Marshall, who was a practitioner in Wickford and surrounding area for 48 years. He was killed during the First World War.

Image ID: 0111g004

St Catherine, Wickford Church - This window depicts Mary and the baby Jesus. It is dedicated to Constance Burton, who was the wife of a Conservative MP from Sudbury, named Colonel H.W. Burton OBE.
The banner at the bottom of the window reads ...
"Her children arise up and call her blessed."

Image ID: 0111g005

St Catherine, Wickford Church - This window in the south wall depicts St Peter and St Andrew, and is dedicated to Joseph Leete. He was a Churchwarden and a benefactor to the church. He provided, amongst other things, acetylene for the church's lighting plant (before the arrival of electricity).

Image ID: 0111g006



Postcard Images

St Catherine, Wickford Church

Image ID: 0111p001




Location Map

 


Copyright 2017 - John Whitworth (www.essexchurches.info)

Essex Church ~ St Catherine's Church ~ Wickford Church ~ St Catherine, Wickford ~ wedding ~ christening ~ baptism ~ mass

Website by Ontime Development.