This standing wall-monument depicts Sir William Smith d.1626 (builder
of the church) and his wife, Bridget. Sir William is slightly higher than, and
behind, his wife.
To the pious memorie of her loved and loving husband
Sr William Smyth of Hill Hall in the County of Essex knight
who till he was xxx yeares old followeed the warres in
Ireland with such aprobation that he was chosen one
of the Colonels of the Army. But his uncle Sr Thom. Smyth
Chancellor of the Garter & Principall Secretary of
State to two princes King Edward the sixt & the late
Queene Elizabeth of famous memorie dying he returned
to a faire & full inhaeritance, and so bent himselfe to
the afaires of the countret that he grewe alike famous
in the artes of peace as warre. All offices that sorted
with a man of his quality ge right worshipfully performed
and dyed one of the Deputy Lieutenants of the Shire. A
place of no smalle trust and credit.
Bridget (his unfortunate widow who during the space
of XXXVII yeares bare him III sonnes and IIII daughters)
daughter of Thomas Fleetwood of the Vache in the County
of Buckingham Esq and sometimes Mr of the Mint to
allay her languor and longing after so deare a
companion of her life rather to expresse her affection
than his merit this monument erected destinating the
same to herself theire children and posteritie he
lived years LXXVI dyed the XII day of December 1626.
The arched recess and background are very similar to the
monument to his father ...