Back to St Michael's Church, Theydon Mount


Image Description

The final large monument in the church is to Sir Thomas Smith d.1668, the son of Sir William Smith d.1631. Of black and white marble, with no super-structure. To each side of the inscription can be seen thick angle volutes ending in cherubs' heads. Here lyeth y body of Sr Thomas Smith of Hill Hall in the County of Essex Baronet (Son of Sr William Smith of y same place Knt) He had two wives. Y first Joanna (the daughter of Sr Edward Altham of this County) by her he had Eleven Sons & two Daughters where of nine Sons are yet living. She died July 14th 1658. The second Beatruce (Daughter of y Right Honble Francis Viscount of Valentia) who died March 26, 1668 After he had lived 66 years with great reputation for Loyalty to his Prince & Conformity to the Church of England in Apostate times and served his King & Country in Chiefest places of trust and credit in the County, peaceably departed this life in our Lord Jesus This Monument as a testimony of the true affection of his son Sr Edward Smith Baronet was erected to the memory of his deare Father deceased on the 5th of May 1668


Copyright 2017 - John Whitworth (www.essexchurches.info)

Essex Church ~ St Michael's Church ~ Theydon Mount Church ~ St Michael, Theydon Mount ~ wedding ~ christening ~ baptism ~ mass

Website by Ontime Development.