Back to St Michael's Church, Theydon Mount


Image Description

This black and white photograph is on display in the church. The West Gallery was built in 1837, during a restoration by Sir Edward Smyth, the then rector. The gallery was installed for use by servants and musicians. It was, however, removed in 1929, as it was in grave danger of collapsing. Suspended from the roof are two 'Coronals' or 'Maiden's Crowns'. These represent an old custom of placing such a crown on the coffin of a girl who had been betrothed, but had died before her marriage. They are shaped like a crown and are covered with evergreen leaves. There were originally three of these crowns in the church. Today there is just one remaining, though this is currently undergoing preservation and restoration. More details on this restoration can be found by clicking here.


Copyright 2017 - John Whitworth (www.essexchurches.info)

Essex Church ~ St Michael's Church ~ Theydon Mount Church ~ St Michael, Theydon Mount ~ wedding ~ christening ~ baptism ~ mass

Website by Ontime Development.