This church is the last remaining part of the great Cistercian
Abbey, founded at Tilty in 1153. The church itself forms what used to be the
'chapel outside the gates' of the abbey. Nothing else of the former abbey
survives, except a fragment of rock, in fields to the North. The nave was built
first, around 1220.
Copyright 2017 - John Whitworth (www.essexchurches.info)
Essex Church ~ St Mary The Virgin's Church ~ Tilty Church ~ St Mary the Virgin, Tilty ~ wedding ~ christening ~ baptism ~ mass
Website by Ontime Development.