Celebrating and cataloguing Essex's fine and unique church architecture.

You currently have items in your basket
Total: - View Basket

St Andrew's Church, Greensted

 

Useful? Please spread the word...


 

CHURCH DETAILS


Church Website: http://www.greenstedchurch.org.uk/

Visit Dates: 19/03/2004 & 28/09/2008

Locking Status: Open during daytime hours - this can vary though - so avoid very early or very late attempts to visit.

Build Date: Nave logs felled between 1063-1100AD.

Restoration: 1842-9; 1892

Restoration Architect: T.H. Wyatt (Nave wall base) Chancellor (nave roof)


 

EXTERNAL IMAGES


St Andrew, Greensted Church - From this view, you wouldn't appreciate that there is something very special about this church. Unfortunately, due to the planting of the churchyard, it is difficult to photograph St Andrew's as a whole.

0011e001.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church - This shot shows what is so special about St Andrew's. The nave walls are constructed split logs, with wooden tongues holding them together. Recent dendrochronological findings have placed the construction of the nave to around 1060AD, just prior to the Norman conquest. This means that this church is The Oldest Wooden Church in the World, and The Oldest Standing Wooden Building in Europe.

0011e002.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church - Here can be seen the tower, which according to a date on one of the bells

0011e003.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011e004.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011e005.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011e006.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011e007.jpg

 

INTERNAL IMAGES


St Andrew, Greensted Church - An internal view of the chancel. Prior to the C16, the chancel was built of wood. It pre-dated the nave, and would originally have been the only part of the building. It would have been of a more primitive construction than the nave. Around 1500 A.D., during the reign of Henry VII, great changes were made to the church. The chancel was rebuilt in brick, and the thatched roof on both the nave and chancel was replaced by tiles. Dormer windows were added to the nave.

0011i001.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church - Changes were again made to the interior of the church during Victorian times. In 1837 Philip Ray became rector, and saw to it that the neglected church was surveyed and restored. The work was undertaken by a local carpenter, James Barlow. The bases of the nave walls had to be cut off, and re-seated on a brick sill, due to rotting of the ancient timbers. Changes were made to strengthen the nave roof, and six dormer windows replaced the three tudor ones.

0011i002.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011i003.jpg

 

GLASS IMAGES


St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011g001.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011g002.jpg

 

MONUMENT IMAGES


St Andrew, Greensted Church - Here lieth Jone, sister of Thomas Smith of Mont Knight. Second wife of Alane Wood of Snodland in Kent. Gent who livinge vertuouslie 60 yeeres died godly the XX of August 1585.

0011n001.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011n002.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011n003.jpg

 

POSTCARD/REPRODUCTION IMAGES


St Andrew, Greensted Church - An old postcard showing the wooden nave walls from the South.

0011p001.jpg

St Andrew, Greensted Church

0011p002.jpg

 

LOCATION MAP


 


 

Essex Church ~ St Andrew's Church ~ Greensted Church ~ St Andrew, Greensted ~ wedding ~ christening ~ baptism ~ mass