St Laurence's Church, Blackmore

Church Details


Visited
19/03/2004 & 09/09/2006
Locking Status
Locked - no keyholder details
Built
Norman - originally priory church
Website
http://www.blackmorechurch.org.uk/


External Images

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - Carlsberg don't make timber church towers ...
but if they did ...
they'd be the best timber church towers in the world!

Image ID: 0017e001

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - Seriously, though, this really is one of the finest, if not the finest timber church tower in the country. This claim is upheld by Pevsner and many others.
The tower consists of a lower storey with three lean-to roofs on each of the N, E and S sides. Directly above is an area of square weatherboarding. Above this, is another storey with four lean-to roofs, followed by what is a more common sight in this county - a square bell stage, topped with a shingled broach spire.

Image ID: 0017e002

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - In addition to the link to the church's own website, provided on the 'DETAILS' page, more history on Blackmore can be found on Andrew Smith's blog.

Image ID: 0017e003

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017e004

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017e005

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017e006

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017e007



Internal Images

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - The original Norman W wall, still easily recognisable from within the tower.

Image ID: 0017i001

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - From Pevsner's Buildings of England: Essex...
Internally it possesses ten posts, making a nave and two aisles. The tower itself stands on the centre six, three N and three S. The arched brances for the cross-beams run N-S, thrown across the second and the fourth pairs. In addition, there are smaller and lower arched braces in an E-W direction between posts 2 and 3, and 3 and 4. Above these are two tiers of cross-struts. A date of c.1480 has been suggested by Mr C.M. Hewett (Archaeological Journal, vol 119, 1962). Tree ring dating in 2004 has now suggested a date of around 1400 for these timbers.

Image ID: 0017i002

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i003

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i004

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i005

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i006

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i007

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - The nave. The N aisle is early C14, whilst the S aisle is clearly C16, with it's brick piers. Due to the early dissolvement of this priory (1527), it is unclear as to whether the C16 alterations where as a result of the move to parochial use.

Image ID: 0017i008

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i009

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - Looking towards the W end of the nave. Directly above Julie's head is a Norman window. This is one of a pair of upper windows that can still be seen.

Image ID: 0017i010

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i011

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i012

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i013

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017i014

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - One of two blocked doorways at the E end of the S aisle. Either this, or the doorway to it's left, would have led into the cloister.

Image ID: 0017i015

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - Original Norman upper window in the N wall of the nave (W end).

Image ID: 0017i016

Glass Images

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017g001

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017g002

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017g003

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017g004

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017g005

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017g006

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017g007



Monument Images

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017n001

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017n002

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017n003



Miscellaneous Images

St Laurence, Blackmore Church - The Cresset Stone, which can be seen in the Church, dates from about this time. It is a primitive form of oil lamp made of stone containing several shaped hollows. These recesses were filled with oil in which was placed a floating wick. The example in the Church is one of the finest in the country and the only one in Essex and it was, without doubt, used in the Priory to light some dark passage. Source

Image ID: 0017m001

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017m002

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017m003

St Laurence, Blackmore Church

Image ID: 0017m004




Location Map

 


Copyright 2017 - John Whitworth (www.essexchurches.info)

Essex Church ~ St Laurence's Church ~ Blackmore Church ~ St Laurence, Blackmore ~ wedding ~ christening ~ baptism ~ mass

Website by Ontime Development.