St Andrew's Church, Greensted

Church Details


Visited
19/03/2004 & 28/09/2008
Locking Status
Open during daytime hours - this can vary though - so avoid very early or very late attempts to visit.
Built
Nave logs felled between 1063-1100AD.
Restoration
1842-9; 1892
Restoration Architect
T.H. Wyatt (Nave wall base) Chancellor (nave roof)
Website
http://www.greenstedchurch.org.uk/

Please Note!!

We've removed the original swipe-compatible viewing method. It didn't work for a lot of people - so we reinstated something similar to the old image viewer - bit which works better for mobile and tablet devices.



External Images

St Andrew, Greensted Church - From this view, you wouldn't appreciate that there is something very special about this church. Unfortunately, due to the planting of the churchyard, it is difficult to photograph St Andrew's as a whole.

Image ID: 0011e001

St Andrew, Greensted Church - This shot shows what is so special about St Andrew's. The nave walls are constructed split logs, with wooden tongues holding them together. Recent dendrochronological findings have placed the construction of the nave to around 1060AD, just prior to the Norman conquest. This means that this church is The Oldest Wooden Church in the World, and The Oldest Standing Wooden Building in Europe.

Image ID: 0011e002

St Andrew, Greensted Church - Here can be seen the tower, which according to a date on one of the bells "William Land made me 1618", is early-C17 or before. Many consider the tower to be earlier, as Essex is famed for it's mediaeval wooden towers and belfries.

Image ID: 0011e003

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011e004

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011e005

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011e006

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011e007



Internal Images

St Andrew, Greensted Church - An internal view of the chancel. Prior to the C16, the chancel was built of wood. It pre-dated the nave, and would originally have been the only part of the building. It would have been of a more primitive construction than the nave.
 
Around 1500 A.D., during the reign of Henry VII, great changes were made to the church. The chancel was rebuilt in brick, and the thatched roof on both the nave and chancel was replaced by tiles. Dormer windows were added to the nave.

Image ID: 0011i001

St Andrew, Greensted Church - Changes were again made to the interior of the church during Victorian times. In 1837 Philip Ray became rector, and saw to it that the neglected church was surveyed and restored. The work was undertaken by a local carpenter, James Barlow. The bases of the nave walls had to be cut off, and re-seated on a brick sill, due to rotting of the ancient timbers. Changes were made to strengthen the nave roof, and six dormer windows replaced the three tudor ones.

Image ID: 0011i002

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011i003

Glass Images

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011g001

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011g002



Monument Images

St Andrew, Greensted Church - Here lieth Jone, sister of Thomas Smith of Mont Knight. Second wife of Alane Wood of Snodland in Kent. Gent who livinge vertuouslie 60 yeeres died godly the XX of August 1585.

Image ID: 0011n001

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011n002

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011n003



Postcard Images

St Andrew, Greensted Church - An old postcard showing the wooden nave walls from the South.

Image ID: 0011p001

St Andrew, Greensted Church

Image ID: 0011p002




Location Map

 


Copyright 2016 - John Whitworth (www.essexchurches.info)

Essex Church ~ St Andrew's Church ~ Greensted Church ~ St Andrew, Greensted ~ wedding ~ christening ~ baptism ~ mass

Website by Ontime Development.