When one thinks of Basildon, it is not usually a historic
image like this that comes to mind. However, Basildon did exist before becoming
... well ... the Basildon that we know today. And Holy Cross formed the parish
church of the original parish of Basildon.
This view from the SE shows the church off in its full glory.
Here can be seen the unbuttressed W tower, the 14th century nave, and the
chancel that was rebuilt in brick in 1597.