An internal view of the chancel. Prior to the C16, the chancel was built of wood. It pre-dated the nave, and would originally have been the only part of the building. It would have been of a more primitive construction than the nave.
Around 1500 A.D., during the reign of Henry VII, great changes were made to the church. The chancel was rebuilt in brick, and the thatched roof on both the nave and chancel was replaced by tiles. Dormer windows were added to the nave.