Changes were again made to the interior of the church during Victorian times. In 1837 Philip Ray became rector, and saw to it that the neglected church was surveyed and restored. The work was undertaken by a local carpenter, James Barlow. The bases of the nave walls had to be cut off, and re-seated on a brick sill, due to rotting of the ancient timbers. Changes were made to strengthen the nave roof, and six dormer windows replaced the three tudor ones.